Did you know that if you exclude all the Stable Diffusion versions, the anime model Anything V3 is the most popular model of all time
A short history of Anything V3:
- The NovelAI anime model (NAI Diffusion) was leaked in November 2022, allowing people to run it on their own computers
- People built many models upon NovelAI that improved on content and style
- Anything V3 was the most popular model created by fine tuning NovelAI
How does Anything V3 compare to NovelAI?
I’d say Anything V3 is more artistic and includes lighting effects that greatly enhance the final result. It’s hard to make a direct comparison as different prompts perform better with different models, but I’ve run some of the same prompts and same seeds to give you an idea of the difference:
In this guide, I’ll show you how to download and run Anything V3 using AUTOMATIC1111’s Stable Diffusion WebUI.
The installation process takes less than 5 minutes, minus the download times. You’ll need around 10GB of free space on your hard drive.
Before proceeding with installation, here are the recommended specs:
- 16GB RAM
- NVIDIA (GTX 7xx or newer) GPU with at least 2GB VRAM (AMD GPU will work, but NVIDIA is recommended)
- Linux or Windows 7/8/10+ or Mac M1/M2 (Apple Silicon)
- 10GB disk space (includes models)
1. Download the model file
The model is all the stuff the AI has been trained on and is capable of generating. Model files end in ‘
.ckpt‘, which stands for ‘checkpoint’.
You will need the following files:
If these links do not work, here is a direct download with both files:
While the files are downloading in the background you can move on to the next step:
2. Download the Web UI
This is the user interface you will use to run the generations.
The most popular Stable Diffusion user interface is AUTOMATIC1111’s Stable Diffusion WebUI. I’ve used a couple and I can see why: the developers are lightning fast and they keep on adding great features.
Here are the installation instructions for the WebUI depending on your platform:
- Installation for Windows: instructions
- Installation for Apple Silicon (Mac M1/M2): instructions
- Installation for Linux: instructions by Joshua Kinsey
3. Place the Model in the Web UI folder
After your files have finished downloading, place them both in the folder
stable-diffusion-webui is the containing folder of the Web UI you downloaded in the previous step)
Rename the model like so:
Anything-V3.0.vae <- keep this filename the same.
You can rename these files whatever you want, as long as filename before the first “
.” is the same.
Since you will be placing all future models into this folder choose a descriptive name that helps you remember what this is.
4. Start the Web UI
- Windows: double-click
- Linux: run
- Mac: run the command
./webui.shin terminal to start
You will know it’s ready when you see the line
Running on local URL: http://127.0.0.1:7860
Let’s open up our web browser and go to this address:
You’ll notice at the top there’s a toggle called “Stable Diffusion Checkpoint”.
You can use this to switch to any model you have placed in the
Switch this to the
If you put the model in the folder after you start the Web UI, you will need to restart the Web UI to see the model.
Stuck for ideas? Check out the following prompt resources:
- Our NovelAI prompt guide. Even though this was written for NovelAI the techniques still carry over.
- P1atdev’s Notion library (Japanese)
- Begin your prompts with
masterpiece, best quality
- Start with the following in the Negative prompts:
lowres, bad anatomy, bad hands, text, error, missing fingers, extra digit, fewer digits, cropped, worst quality, low quality, normal quality, jpeg artifacts, signature, watermark, username, blurry, artist name
-1in the seed field to randomize it, or specify a seed to ensure consistency across generations.
I’ve written some detailed prompt techniques to improve your image results. If you are using this guide, replace
(). Stable Diffusion uses
() while the NovelAI website uses
Models to try next
As of today, Anything V3 is the most popular anime model. There are a couple of other great models you can try:
- OrangeMix is a collection of models created by merging other models. BloodOrangeMix is quite popular in the Japanese SD community and very good quality.
Check this full list of anime models for more.